I host two blogs, a wiki, and a ticket system, all targets for spam, so I have since generalized the system by using
mod_rewrite due to the cookie being set). This means “blocking” spam doesn’t require a plug-in written specifically for the particular web application.
Despite this JS challenge some spam still gets through, and that’s what this post is about.
Until recently I deleted all spam that fooled the JS challenge but I did look through the logs for some of them to look for patterns, and until recently it was hard to find one since:
Given the above, I started to consider other things that could be used for filtering and arrived at the following list:
As said above, so far I have just thrown spam comments away, so I don’t have a corpus to test the above on, so take it only as anecdotal.
I plan to archive all spam from this point on so that I can later experiement with filters based on the above list. Though my other project might not allow me to get around to experiment with this anytime soon, perhaps someone else will find inspiration in the above.